Sample ManagerTemperature

Hi, We have a method that requires that our samples are stored in the autosampler at 7deg +/- 3 deg. As we put on our run the temperature in the lab was approaching 30deg. the sample cooler was reading approx 9deg. Although 9 deg falls within the allowed range for the method we found that the we could not put on the run unless we changed the method to 9 deg. The sample cooler seemed unable to cool below the 9 degrees. Even at this as the temperature in the lab climbed the run aborted shortly after started as the sample temperature could not be maintained by the instrument. My questions are: At what temperature (in the laboratory) will the sample cooler not be able to maintain the cooling of the sample chamber? Why won't the UPLC run when the sample temperature is within the range of the method? We have noticed this occur on several occasions.Thanks for your help on this.

Answers

• It appears that the SM cannot attain any better than 9 degrees in your environment. Efficiency does depend on ambient temperature and humidity, high ambient (above 21 degrees) and/or high humidity (above 50%) may be the issue. Also ensure that you have the defrosted recently. I will attach the specification.

This may be part of the issue, but I also believe that you have run into the way the temperature error band works and we have addressed this in in v1.40 driver. In the method window you set a temperature and an error band. For example if it is 10 degrees and the error band is 5 degrees, the software interprets this as +/- 5 degrees, in other words it will not start to run until under 12.5 degrees and/or throw an error message if the threshold is crossed. You can simply disable the error band and that will allow you to run.

Hope this helps

Liz

• thanks for help Liz