My chromatogram will not display completely.

Some time last week I had a "database error", crashing my Empower session. When I was able to get back in, my chromatograms stopped displaying correctly. I can't see the complete chromatogram, drop lines, or component markers. This makes it difficult to integrate. I have posted images. Any ideas?

Best Answers

  • Accepted Answer
    We finally sorted out my problem. During my initial crash, I had to redownload and install the Citrix launcher. I apparently downloaded the version straight from the Citrix website instead of the version built for my company.  Only my laptop had this version, hence I only saw the problem on this laptop. I wasn't even aware the launcher could affect display issues. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • Accepted Answer
    Glad to hear it. Citrix is great if managed adequately. It is far easier to update a Citrix server or two than to have to do numerous fat clients, but you do occasionally run into problems like yours, or print queue issues, processing glitches etc. etc. It is not perfect.

Answers

  • Assumptions: this is an enterprise installation and your issue is in Review.

    Have you:
    • right-clicked on the chromatogram and gone through properties (scaling tab)?
    • cold booted the effected computer?
    • determined if this is happening just on this project/sampleset/user/PC or if it is more widespread?

    If it is just a matter of changing display properties, you may need to delete preferences in that project, and/or save new preferences once things are to your liking.

    If this is a widespread issue, a server reboot is probably in order.

    If it is just a particular result set or sample set that is effected, try reviewing the channels or injections (get to them using "View As") instead of the sampleset or result set. A reprocess may help, unless it's a corrupted processing method at fault. If that's it, just make a new one.
  • edited August 28
    Thank you for your response.  Your questions have helped me narrow down the problem to my laptop.  I have answered your questions below (bolded, italicized text):

    Have you:

    • right-clicked on the chromatogram and gone through properties (scaling tab)?

    I did go through every property tab (including the scaling tab), nothing has fixed it yet.

    • cold booted the effected computer?

    Yes, several times

    • determined if this is happening just on this project/sampleset/user/PC or if it is more widespread?

    It is happening to one user only (myself), and only on my laptop.  If I go to the lab PC, I can see the chromatograms fine.


    If it is just a matter of changing display properties, you may need to delete preferences in that project, and/or save new preferences once things are to your liking.

    If I delete preferences, the chromatogram shows in full. However, as soon as I zoom in or out, the problem reappears.

    If this is a widespread issue, a server reboot is probably in order.

    Not widespread, just affects me.

    If it is just a particular result set or sample set that is effected, try reviewing the channels or injections (get to them using "View As") instead of the sampleset or result set. A reprocess may help, unless it's a corrupted processing method at fault. If that's it, just make a new one.

    I have confirmed that this affects more than one sample set, whether processed or not. Note that when the original crash occurred, it did corrupt my original processing method. I made a new one.  


  • Is your PC a "fat client" or is it running Empower via a Citrix installation? 

    Have you saved preferences after having deleted them?
    If this does not help, I would check in with Waters on this one if you are not comfortable just reinstalling Empower and performing any required IQ and OQ on that laptop. If they have seen this before, they may be aware of another possible solution. I, however, am not as I have not seen this before.

    Please do add a note here once you get it sorted out...I'm curious.
  • edited September 5
    I am using Citrix to run Empower and that was indeed the culprit. When I had the original database error, I had to re-download the Citrix receiver. I apparently downloaded a version from the Citrix website instead of the version  used for my company.  Uninstalling the wrong version and installing the correct version fixed my problem and in general seemed to speed up the whole software experience. Thanks for your input.
Sign In or Register to comment.