Saving a processing method as current versus saving old calibration curve?

Empower 3 - is there any difference between saving an older version of a processing method as current versus selecting a certain calibration curve ID and saving that as Calibration, ie giving it a new processing method name which associates those points with the method? I cant see the difference because the older processing method is going to have all integration, component and retention time etc values associated with it and therefore the calibration curve will also be the same. 

Also, when selecting an old calibration curve ID as current, aren't you limited to whatever system the curves were calculated on and can only be used on samples sets acquired on that system? So if you wanted to save as calibration an old HPLC processing method and use the new processing method to quantitate data on a UPLC machine is that possible?

Answers

• You always have the option to build the curve manually.

In addition, if you look at your result set and click the cal curve icon, you can go to "Options" and select "Select Calibration". I believe this will give you the option to select *any* calibration curve that was generated with the processing method in question.

• Hi Shaunwat, yes I understand the option to select calibration from results but doesn't this calibration still "tie" you to a specific system or channel as per the instrument method used when the data was acquired? We are not allowed use manual calibration curves. Or was your point that you could adjust any calibration curve you want by changing the Level, X value etc and then use this on any data? I thought calibration curves were tied to not only processing method but specific systems and channels. 
  • You can use PMs between multiple systems. Only PDA PMs are tied to a certain (derived) channel.

"HPLC PM" will work on UPLC and vice versa (although I assume RTs will be totally different so not sure if that is of much use).