Use of ion-pair reagents (such as sodium lauryl sulfate) on UPLC

<p>Does anyone have experience with using ion-pair reagents on a UPLC (H-Class)?  We have several HPLC methods that use long chain ion-pair reagents such as SLS or 1-decanesulfonate in the mobile phase.  We are interested in doing method development using the H-class, but there's some concern over clogging the small tubing with the soapy residue, whether or not the IP reagent will wash out of the system ok, and what it will do to the column lifetime.</p><p></p><p>If you have experience with this or know of any articles you can direct me to, please let me know.  This could greatly reduce our run times but we only have one UPLC in-house at the moment and we don't want to foul it up.</p><p></p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Crystal </p>

Answers

• Hi Crystal,

We tried using a method that used sodium hexane sulfonate, and it poisoned column after column and fouled the UPLC so bad we had to purge it with phosphoric acid and then overnight with methanol before we could use it again.  The poisoned columns are still sitting in a box around somewhere.

• Hi Crystal

can you share the application method and concentrations, as the user above has found once a column has an ion pair it must be kept for taht method as you cannot really remove (or that's what I was taught, to dedicate a column). Improved sensitivity of modern detectors can cause contamination issues as these compounds are by nature binding, but use of ion pairs with UPLC is in general fine. It may be that depending on the analysis a better choice is available.

BR

Liz