Empower calculations by Internal standard

<p>We are using empower 3.  Our samples contain an internal standard – and our processing method compares the internal standard in the sample (peak area) to the same compound in the external standard.  The concentration of the internal standard is defined in the default amounts tab of the processing method. </p><p></p><p>Normally, when the samples are entered into the sample set method, a level is entered to indicate the concentration of the internal standard in the processing method.  Sometimes the analyst will forget to add a level to the sample set method.  When the sample has no level entered the concentration of the internal standard in the sample should be undefined, however, empower still generates results for the sample when it is integrated and quantitated using the processing method which requires an internal standard.  And when empower generates results for samples which have no level entered, those results are off by a factor of 10 or more.</p><p></p><p>So, my questions are these:</p><p></p><p>Where is empower getting the concentration of the internal standard? </p><p></p><p>If no concentration exists for the internal standard in the sample, where does the factor come from which the values of the other peaks in the sample are multiplied by (as empower normally does when using an internal standard to correct for sample loss)?</p><p></p><p>How do I fix the issue? Is there some setting buried deep in the processing method where I can set the default amount if no level is entered?  Or maybe I can make it so that samples which have no level entered are integrated/quantitated without the internal standard factor being used even though the processing method has the use internal standard button checked?  Or maybe best of all, have the processing method NOT give results (maybe an error message) for samples which have no level entered.</p>