experiences with the new agilent 1290 icf version 2.1

<p>Hello dear Community,</p><p></p><p>has anybody already made experiences with the new version 2.1 of the Agilent 1290 ICF?</p><p>(we are using Empower2 FR5 SP G HF2)</p><p></p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">- running with the Agilent 1.06-driver in parallel? compatibility?</p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">- update of firmware necessary?</p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">- thermostat control now o.k.?</p><p></p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">We had also problems with the communication instrument-lac/e (pc). Sometimes we had to restart the lac/e (pc) a few times.</p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Is this problem also been solved or improved?</p><p></p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">I´m looking forward for many helpful answers or annotations to this topic!</p><p></p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Thanks in advance!</p><p></p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Best regards,</p><p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Michael</p>

Answers

• I got the following infomation:

The Agilent ICF driver 2.1 makes trouble. It may happen that the memory requirement is very high, and at worst, overflows. They work on a bugfix and a timeline will be announced.
    If it is not absolutely necessary, it is recommended to wait for the fix and install the driver afterwards.
  • Are there any details available:

Is the problem in the Waters part or is that inside the code that is provided by Agilent?

Does anybody know when that will be fixed?

Regards Reinhard

• I got this info by a Waters representative.

• Hello

There have been reports of issues while using the latest version of Waters Support for the Agilent Instrument Control Framework (ICF) to control Agilent LC modules.

Two problems have been reported:  (1) chromatographic systems going Offline requiring a reboot of the LAC/E32 module; and (2) excessive memory consumption while running multiple chromatographic systems.

If you are considering the deployment of Agilent ICF Support v2.1, then proceed to test but delay deployment in production environment until there is further information.

If you have already deployed Agilent ICF Support v2.1 (or v2.0), the following steps may help to reduce the severity of the issues:

-    Before beginning a Sample Set, reboot the LAC/E32 module by using the Empower Configuration Manager

-    If possible, run only one chromatographic system per LAC/E32 module using Agilent ICF Support

Efforts are underway to address these issues and very high priority.

Additional updates will follow, as the investigation proceeds.

Regards

Dot

• Problem (1) was our main problem with the version 1.0. It does not seem to have been resolved yet in the version 2...

• Hello

This message is to provide an update on the issues that have been reported while using the latest version of Waters Support for the Agilent Instrument Control Framework (ICF) to control Agilent LC modules.

The development team has found the source of the major memory issue.  Our investigation also provides short-term solution to decrease memory consumption while running samples which may allow a return to running multiple systems until a permanent solution can be supplied.

Within the instrument method for the Agilent LC, if one channel of data is acquired from the “Auxiliary Channels” tab shown below, then computer memory consumption during runs will be minimized.

Only one channel of data is needed in order to minimize memory consumption.  Selecting additional channels will not reduce memory consumption any further.

In addition, the following recommendation still remains in effect:

-     If possible, before beginning a Sample Set, reboot the LAC/E32 module using the Empower Configuration Manager

Additional communications will follow as our investigation proceeds and additional remedies are determined.

Regards

Dot

• Thanks for the info.

Are there any news about the other problem?

Dot wrote:[...]Two problems have been reported:  (1) chromatographic systems going Offline requiring a reboot of the LAC/E32 module;[...]
  • Hello Everyone,

Important news.

I would like to post an that following another week of investigation, we can confirm that by enabling data collection from one of the Auxiliary Channels will allow a return to normal operation of multi-detector, multi-system run without having to reboot the LAC/E module.

Best regards

Dot

• Hello everybody,

are there any news with the newnew agilent 1290 driver higher than version 2.1???

Or a Hotfix for version 2.1???

I´m not sure, but I think there should be a new version available these days...?!

Has anybody better informations or more details?

Thanx for your answers and help!

Best Regards,

Michael

• Hi Michael,

a Waters supporter told us that the "Agilent ICF Support v2.1 Hotfix 1" should come out on 10 April 2013. Does someone have an idea what happened to it.

Regards, Peter

• Hello Everyone

Agilent ICF Support v2.1 Hotfix 1 which supports Agilent 1290, Agilent 1260, and Agilent A1100 and A1200 LC modules has released. Additionally, Waters has tested Agilent ICF version A.01.05 and is also making this software available as an update to Agilent ICF version A.01.04.

The Kit for Agilent ICF Support v2.1 is part number 667004900.  Media should be available in early May, 2013.   A download for the hotfix will soon be availble on the Waters Services and Support site.

Agilent ICF Version 2.1 Hotfix 1 corrects a memory management issue that required periodic reboots of the LAC/E32 module if an Aux channel of data was not being collected and also includes a correction for a situation which would lead to "Server Busy" messages. Version 2.1 Hotfix 1 still includes the many enhancements of version 2.0 released in September and the fix for 3D data acquisition contained in version 2.1. Some of the enhancements from version 2.0 are:

· Support for more than one ICF-based system per acquisition computer· Support for more than one detector per ICF-based LC system· Support for injector programming for sample preparation (pretreatment)· Support for auxiliary data channels· Support for Empower 3 in a Citrix environment, with the Windows Server 2008 operating system· Support for Agilent fraction collectors for basic control (Empower 2) and fraction identification (Empower 3)· Access to instrument configuration pages that are available through the Agilent ICF· An increase in the amount of information available to Empower through the "Comprehensive Status Report" mechanism

Agilent ICF Support v2.1 Hotfix 1 has been tested with Agilent ICF version A.01.04 as well as Agilent ICF version A.01.05, which is available from Waters under part number 667004877.

Please see the Release Notes for additional information.

Best regardsDot
  • Hi

I had heard that the ICF 2.1 does not support 3-D data.  Is that true and if so does the hotfix correct that? (Or was the 3-D data problem related to memory management issues?)

Thanks

Jeff

• Hello everybody,

is anyone using the new agilent1290icf v2.1-driver?

Working without problems? Tested already?

Thank you for a lot of helpful responses!!!

Best regards,

Michael

• Hotfix 2.1 is out now. Check the Waters' website -> Services and Support -> Software downloads. It is a bigish file (400MB), but it addresses the faults mentioned in this discussion.

• Hello everybody,

we have got a little problem with the new Agilent ICF 2.1 Hotfix 1 and an Agilent 1260.

We can't control the temperature of the thermostated sampler (G1329B) by the instrument method.

In the tap sampler there is no input field for the temperature.

The help section says following:

The Thermostat Temperature Control section of the Control dialog box is available when you have a thermostated autosampler with a thermostat element connected and enabled only when the Themostat controlled by method check box in the Options section of the Configuration dialog box is cleared. It allows you to specify the temperature of the sample in your sample tray, or switch off temperature control.

Select Turned off to deactivate temperature control of the sample tray.

Select the lower option to switch on temperature control. You can type a temperature in the field or use the arrows to increase or decrease the temperature.

The thermostat controlled by method check box is cleared, but no input field for temperature was found. If the check box is activated, an input field is available, but it doesen't work.

The temperatur of the sampler is always 20 degrees (default).

The only possibility to control the temperature is to change it under the control section in the instrument status in the run samples window manually.

Anybody an idea ??

Kind regards

Andreas Vogt

• Observed the same issue. I'm using 2.1 Hotfix 1 with Agilent ICF A.01.05. Any ideas?

• I just installed ICF 2.1 Hotfix 1 today, and I learned a few things, but also have a few questions remaining.

First, some background.  We are running Empower 2 SP H Hotfix 1 in an Enterprise environment.  We have multiple Agilent 1100 systems that were running using the older ICS 1.06.  We never had ICF 1.0 installed.  We acquired two rental Agilent stacks that contained primarily 1100 components, but also contained Agilent 1200 G1314D VWD detectors, which were incompatible with ICS 1.06.  Hence the need to install ICF 2.1.

I started the process by first uninstalling the old ICS 1.06, then installing ICF 2.1.  By the end of the day I learned this was the wrong thing to do.  ICS 1.06 and ICF 2.1 can and should co-exist (thanks Tech Support!).  So I reinstalled ICS 1.06 on all of our computers.

I was able to configure the new stacks as "AgilentLC" systems using ICF 2.1, and so far they seem to communicate with Empower.  They also use the new ICF 2.1 interfaces for building Instrument Methods and in the Run Samples screen.

So far, I have not been able to make the new interface work with the older Agilent 1100 stacks.  During the period of time when ICS 1.06 was uninstalled, I couldn't bring those systems online at all.  Even deleting a system and re-creating it in the Config Mgr did not allow me to bring the system online.  Once ICS 1.06 was re-installed, the systems could be brought back online and used the way we always have, with the older interfaces.

I now think the trick might be in the DHCP config settings for each Node, but I haven't had the chance to try experimenting with it (and all my analysts have resumed use of the systems after being down for 6 hours today, so I won't have the chance until I can create another window of opportunity when no one is running).  I noticed when I went into the DHCP config settings for the new stacks, I had the choice in the pulldown for Instrument Type to identify them as "A1100" (which is what all of the old systems were called) or "AgilentLC".  I think this choice didn't exist in the past, and that "A1100" is asociated with ICS 1.06 whereas "AgilentLC" is associated with the new ICF 2.1.  I'm predicting that if I change the other systems from A1100 to AgilentLC, I will be able to use them with the new interface.  If I'm correct, I don't know if I will need to completely delete the systems first and start over with creating new systems, or whether they can just be edited.  I assume new Instrument Methods will have to be created from scratch after this change.

Can anyone confirm any of this?  Has anyone had a similar experience when adding ICF 2.1 to their environment?

Jeff