Opinions on use of Synapt G2 HDMS?

<p>Hi colleagues,</p><p></p><p>We realy do want some feedback from users of Synapt G2 HDMS system. We know the theoretical aspects and specifications of the system.</p><p></p><p>Why we need such feedback is that we are currently considering to buy a QTOF system and we will place a tender open competition to provide the best system from Waters, Agilent, Bruker, SciEX, and Leco. They have to provide the best system in terms of price (limited to around 400 kUSD), usefulness, service and support, and software. One of the vendors should be finally selected to deliver the QTOD system.</p><p></p><p>We will appreciate any positive or negative feedback or criticism.</p><p></p><p>Thank you in advance</p><p></p><p>T. Barri</p>

Comments

• Hi Barri,

I believe that the list price for Synapt G2 with HDMS will likely be more than US$400K, unless you can get huge discount from Waters. Our G1 cost more than that a few years back. Do not forget the software will not be cheap either.

Demo comparison is a good way to tell which is best for your application.

Albert

• Hi Albert,

Thank you for sharing this with me. I forgot to say in the post that Waters has offered us a one-year used Synapt G2 HDMS for that price. They informed us that it was only used for demos. I am always reluctant to buy used instruments, which in case of buying it may demand us to start paying for maintainance and service after few months or a year of purchase. So, it depends on how much it was used during thiat year.

I really wanted some hardcore feedback about the system if you have witnessed any good or bad experiences.

regards

T. Barri

• We demo-ed and bought a Synapt G2-S without ion mobility turned on.  I think the ion mobility has some advantages for proteomic and large molecule work, however for small molecule drug discovery we did not find it helpful right now.  We are hoping to upgrade in the future.

You should be able to by a Synapt G2 without the ion mobility turned on for a bit of a discount and then decide later if it is something you need.

I will say for the G2-S, that it is significantly more sensitive than the G2 when we looked at that one.

hope this helps.