Preventative Maintenance

<p>I am new to this system and am wondering if anyone is able to suggest preventative maintance on a daily, weekly or monthly basis to keep the instrument in good running condition? Are there any diagnostic tests I should run? Are there certain solvents I should pump through the system on a monthly basis to flush out the system? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks</p>

Comments

• In my humble opinion; We pass Water (Uplc Grade  ) during 6-8 hours at night! Enough to remove the Salts that can remain inside the seals and all the tubing.

Albert.

• It really depends on what you're running through the machine.  I'd recommend flushing with water and then ACN daily for about 10-20 column volumes on a daily basis.  This suits 3 purposes: 1. It flushes out buffers so that they do not precipitate, 2. It is a good minor cleaning procedure, 3. Most reverse phase UPLC columns are typically stored in 90%-100% ACN.   In addition, a water flush is needed if you are switching from a buffer to high organic gradient (There is a particular procedure in the manual for washing after buffers).

For more rigorous cleaning I'd recommend reading http://www.waters.com/webassets/cms/support/docs/WA40001.pdf which has a lot of detail on column care for BEH columns and is semi relevant to overall system care. Our lab uses a monthly overnight clean of H2O (1% meOH) -> 100% IPA -> H2O (1% MeOH) -> 100% ACN which runs about 50 column lengths of each solvent.

There are many diagnostic tests available in the Acquity console (the blue "A" button).  Leak test found under "Maintain" for QSM is useful in diagnosing pump problems in terms of seal and valve wear-and-tear; in addition a daily system suitability test that uses a gradient will give a good indication of pump seals/valves (k').  Other diagnostic tests such as seal readiness test for needle (Under sample manager "Maintain") and needle leak test are useful for the flow-through needle.

• Thank you Albert and Wesley , you input is greatly appreciated

• what about preventing the micro-bacterial growth? there are so many kinds of bacterial growth in inlet fritz, in the column (BEH200), and column outlet, which shorten the column life time. these micro organism can live in 70 % IPA. we are still trying to prevent it;(