Buffering is a process built into the Empower application to insure no loss of data occurs when there is a break in communications between the database server and an acquisition node. It is normal behavior and should not be of concern unless the frequency is unusually high.
If the frequency is considered high then to reduce buffering areas to be considered are the overall environment, the physical network, the database server and lastly the acquisition node itself. Each must have sufficient resources and be configured to adequately handle the amount of data being produced. This should be blended in with the other applications and protocols. Increasing resources for one or more these areas may be required. Also, it is always good to review the software notes for the latest changes or updates. It is possible that updates have been made that might help.
You may find a Technical notes that descibe some of the improvement that help to reduce the buffering situation
basicaly : the main reason is comming from network response time.
for instance when you have an injection with 60 min runtime the Db is contacted at the begining before injection to retreive channelId and at the end to update data on the channel. but during the 60 minutes of the runtime there is no communication with the db. and if you go to buffering at this time the reason are link to network
- network performance :
- network overloaded by trafic
- network facing packet collision
- authentication (kerebos , from domain controller to allow network copy for packet)
- network resolution. (netbios and hostname resolution , potential dns, or wins performence problem)
- latency on the rawdata server to wright chromatogram on disk link to badly hardware design, much I/O , Sever busy by other process or activity as Antivirus example that scan all modification done one a file. think about 10 detectors sending 10mb file each arround the same time,
- and other.
recover.log may help you to identify the reason of buffering as well as the eventviewer on acquisition machine and servers (db server, rawdata server, dc, and dns).
use the server monitoring tool to analyse botleneck on the server and on network.
In order to reduce buffering you have to first identify the reason of your buffering..