Generic HPLC 2ml vials ok to use in Acquity system?

Options
<p><span>Hi all, </span></p><p></p><p><span>I'm beginning to run out of the vials that came with my new UPLC system and was wondering if these are the only vials that can be used? </span></p><p></p><p><span>We currently also have HPLC's running in our lab and the generic vials we use for those are the same size but do not have the pre-split caps. </span></p><p></p><p><span>Is this important or will the needle of the UPLC pierce generic caps aswell?</span></p><p></p><p><span>Cheers</span></p><p></p><p><span>Mitch</span></p>

Answers

• you do not need to use split septa. the needle will penetrate other septa. I have used split septa screw on, non split snap on, and several crimp top vials with various speta materials all with with no issues.

• Thanks Lee1K1,

That answers my question perfectly.

• BJ
    Options

Hi

Waters told us to use only pre-slitted caps because of the design of the needle: the stainless steel outer needle will penetrate the cap, then the inner PEEK needle will come out and aspirate sample. If you use non slitted caps, there is a risk of not fully pierced caps, which will damage the inner PEEK needle.

But I must admit that in the beginning we used normal, non slitted caps, and never had any problems with them.

Bart

• Hi all,

We use pre-splitted vials. We already had a problem with an HPLC and its syringe with a non pre-splitted caps. From there, we use pre-splitted caps to ensure no needle problems. As it has already been written here, in UPLC there's a first needle allowing to puncture the caps and then the needle that aspirate the sample comes out!

It does not cost a lot to purchase the pre-splitted one!! If I were you I would keep that kind of caps!

Regards,

Stephane.

• My choice of septa is not cost related and there are times when pre-slit septa are not an option.

I understand how the needle is designed and if the outer needle is not fully puncturing a standard septa then it needs to be adjusted. If you observe the injector in operation (use a vial without cap) the metal puncture needle should go down into the vial to approximately to the base of the vial neck.

Bart, I am surprised a waters rep told you to only use split septa. I cannot imagine they would like to admit that their flagship instrument cannot inject from a vial fitted with a standard septa. Maybe a waters rep on the forum can chime in on this?

Again, i have used standard septa on 4 different UPLC systems with no problems. My colleges have an additional ten or so UPLC's and have never indicated they have had septa related problems other than an extra peak caused by solvent interactions with a particular septa material.

• Mitch,

As you've read, of course you COULD use non-Waters vials with your UPLC system. That said, there are a couple scientific/practical reasons why we strongly recommend using Waters vials:

1. A self-venting septum increases the accuracy of sample draw. If you have a septum that forms a complete seal around the needle two events could lead to inaccurate sample draw volume:

1a. If there is a build up of vapor pressure in the vial, the needle piercing the septum creates an outlet to relieve the pressure. This pressure relief could drive more sample volume up into the needle than the intended injection.

1b. The second draw error that could occur is a small vacuum could form as the needle is withdrawn. The vacuum could pull a few microliters of sample out of the needle.

2. Vial quality and cleanliness (especially for MS applications). See attached white paper that disusses the influence/role of vial quality in LCMS applcations.

If you would like a little guidance/help in choosing the correct sample vial, please use this simple vial selector tool.

I hope this information helps you make an informed decision.

Best regards,

--Doug