Storage BEH Amide Premiere column

The manual says store BEH amide columns in 100% ACN is it essential to use 100% ACN or would 95% ACN and 5% H20 be acceptable (this is the recommended for HILIC in manual) ? Will it make a big difference for column lifetime?
I use 10  mM of Ammonium Acetate so need to be careful with washing before 100% ACN.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• I can't remember if it was this particular column or something similar from Waters, but I know I've had issues with columns being completely trashed after a first or second use if/when stored in something that was a little off from the recommended.
    I'd make up a salt free version of the MP and wash with that, then flush and store in whatever the recommended eluent is, so that if it does go prematurely belly-up, you can say that you did as recommended. I can't say for sure that it will significantly extend your column's life, but it won't hurt. These non Si based columns are just not as forgiving about some things (in my somewhat limited experience with them).

Answers

• Sounds like you might already have this information, but just in case you haven't seen it, here is some info on Care and Use of your column from the Knowledge Base .

Good luck!
  • per_oxid
    edited February 2021
    MarcNoble said:
    Sounds like you might already have this information, but just in case you haven't seen it, here is some info on Care and Use of your column from the Knowledge Base .

Thanks for the link!
    The recommendation to change to 100% ACN for longer than 4 days storage seems reasonable, this was not in the manual. For shorter breaks in between runs I think it will make save some time to store LC and column in something like 80%ACN 20%H20, just to get the buffers out when flow is stopped for shorter times a day or two, when starting from 100% ACN equilibration can take quite a while. I have been using my column now for a while and it still performs well, the BEH amide works really well and I wish to keep it that way.