Instrument audit trail

Hi all,

this is my first post and I hope my question will be answered :smile:

Recently I was challenged by an auditor. He had looked at a sample set and asked me which injection was injected on the same HPLC before that sample set. In other words, he wanted to see the audit trail for the HPLC. As far as I know there is no instrument audit trail, except the system audit trail. But this does not record any injection commands. 
So my question is, is there a way to find out which injections were made on a HPLC? Is there a log file or something similar? Or is there an entry in the audit trail and I just don't know anything about it?

We are running Empower 3 FR2.

Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

• My tactic would be to have a look at message center and sort by instrument (Acquisition tab, Application header). That should yield a project to look at, then provide a detailed answer based on what is in that project. 

If you have a pretty flat project directory structure, you can open multiple projects and then view filter the channels by the instrument they were collected on.

Another way I would try might be to remote into the LACE that instrument is on and look at the data directory. Folder structure usually resembles:  C:\Empower\InstrumentServer\Instrument \Empower3\project names (sort of).
    Note the date modified for each project folder for an idea of where to look in Empower.

Answers

• You can do it if you have an ECord which tracks injections on a particular system but I think ECords are only for UPLC not HPLC. The audit trail of an instrument method only tracks changes to a method from creation to date.
  • You would need to perform a global search on the database. Something like NuGenesis, or EDS 365 might make this a little bit easier for you. I'm not sure if the system analytics tool new to FR2 and later gives this information. 
  • Thank you for your answers!

You can do it if you have an ECord which tracks injections on a particular system but I think ECords are only for UPLC not HPLC. The audit trail of an instrument method only tracks changes to a method from creation to date.
    Ecord does not work for us, because about half of our HPLC are from Agilent.

shaunwat said:
    You would need to perform a global search on the database. Something like NuGenesis, or EDS 365 might make this a little bit easier for you. I'm not sure if the system analytics tool new to FR2 and later gives this information. 
    Unfortunately we have neither NuGenesis nor EDS365. Therefore only the Analytics Tool remains which does not give me the requested information.

My tactic would be to have a look at message center and sort by instrument (Acquisition tab, Application header). That should yield a project to look at, then provide a detailed answer based on what is in that project. 

If you have a pretty flat project directory structure, you can open multiple projects and then view filter the channels by the instrument they were collected on.

Another way I would try might be to remote into the LACE that instrument is on and look at the data directory. Folder structure usually resembles:  C:\Empower\InstrumentServer\Instrument \Empower3\project names (sort of).
    Note the date modified for each project folder for an idea of where to look in Empower.
    The Message Center does not show me when an injection was started. I only see errors, warnings and information.

The global project viewer is no option for me. Our project structure is quite extensive and our projects are quite big. Therefore opening the global project viewer would take too long.

I have the same tactic and connect to the Lace. Unfortunately this is not the instrument audit trial. But I think I am prepared for the next question of an auditor.
  • "Lamp is off" and  "Lamp off during acquisition" messages under the Acquisition tab in message center are usually pretty good markers for the ends of runs. Again, not a direct audit trail entry, but a useful guidepost.
  • "Lamp is off" and  "Lamp off during acquisition" messages under the Acquisition tab in message center are usually pretty good markers for the ends of runs. Again, not a direct audit trail entry, but a useful guidepost.
    I agree, these messages would be useful but not every stop method turns off the lamp, therefore these messages are quite rare in our message center.
  • Navigate to c:\ Empower\instrumentserver\recover.log file on lace machine. 
    At time of interest u will find information about, sampleset , project and connected  Instrument details, u can easily  injection details from above information.
  • Navigate to c:\ Empower\instrumentserver\recover.log file on lace machine. 
    At time of interest u will find information about, sampleset , project and connected  Instrument details, u can easily  injection details from above information.
    This would be another way to go.
    Thank you for your reply.
  • si quieres saber en que equipo se realizo la inyección
    para mi la opción mas fácil es crear un filtro y en ese filtro agregas "nombre del sistema" y podrás visualizar en que equipo se realizo la inyección.