Empower 3 - Serial Device Not Detected

Options
<p>For some of our LAC/E boxes we can’t get Empower 3 to detect the serial hubs. The LAC/E boxes can physically communicate to the serial hub but Empower 3 can’t. So far we have two functioning LAC/E boxes in which Empower 3 can see the serial hubs and we can modify each of the 8 ports in the node properties Serial Ports tab. I’ve attached a pdf document with more information. </p>

Answers

• Dot
    Options

Hello,

First the Equinox SST-8 multiport serial adapter card is supported for Windows XP only.  This is noted in the Empower 3 Installation and Configuration Guide.

Second the Avocent Ethernet multi-interface serial hub is supported for Windows XP or Windows 7.

Once you have completed the instructions provided in the Avocent release notes, there are some additional steps to be performed.  In Computer Device Manager the ports 3-10 must be available to install the Avocent serial hub.  Also, Waters DHCP configuration utility must be used to configure the modules connected through the hub. Cables and connectors are specified in the Avocent release notes.  Additionally, if you are not attaching MassSpec instrumentation that specifically requires the address 64.1.1.1, this address should be removed from the Instrument LAN. Any modules requiring comm settings (baud rate, stop bits, etc.) should be set according to the modules release notes.

These installations should be performed by the local administrator.  If you do not have sufficient privilege, the registry settings may not be created properly during installation and setup.

I hope this information is helpful in completing your setup.

Dot

• SFSun99
    Options

Hi -

I am just in the process of doing a conversion from Empower 2 to Empower 3 and trying to beta test the GC connections with the Avocent serial hub.

I am running into almost exactly the same problem you were describing.

Did you find a solution for your communication issues within Empower?

I am working off of a 'fresh' PC forthe installation that has never had an Equinox serial card installed, so I know there is no conflict from there.

- Steve

• LRamirez
    Options

Steve,

I was able to fix the communication issues within Empower by adding a registry key to the three control set services folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM.

Steps to add the "eqn" registry key:

1. After installing the Serial Hub drivers click on the Windows Start button > Type regedit.exe > Right click on regedit.exe and select Run as administrator
    2. Backup the registry
    3. Navigate to the following folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001services
      • Right click on the services folder > New > Key
      • Rename New Key #1 to eqn
      • Right click on eqn > New > Key
      • Rename the new key to Parameters
      • Select Parameters key > Right click in the white space under (Default) > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
      • Rename "New Value #1" To EQNbaseComPort
      • Double click on "EQNbaseComPort" and enter 3
    4. Repeat step 3 for the other two control sets.
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet002services
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservices (The eqn key may already exist in this folder if it has been added to the two other control sets)

Reboot the PC after the eqn registry key has been added to the three control sets.

After the PC has been restarted verify in Empower that the Serial Device Status is OK and that the Serial Ports can be configured.

Hope this solves your problem.