Custom field calculation

<p>Hallo,</p><p></p><p>Does anyone know if there is any possibility to convert a number value into text? I know that there are some pre-defined values that appear as text strings, like -60001 appears as N.D..</p><p>But I would like to have some additional text strings.</p><p></p><p>Thanks for any ideas! </p>

Comments

• We're brand new Empower users and I can't find  descriptive procedures for creating custom fields and for creating custom database? Just looking for general procedure to put into our Empower SOP? Thanks in advance for any help!

• Hello Oliver,

You do have the ability to convert field results into text by the use of enumeration custom fields. I am sure that if you go to the help of Empower and search for "Enumeration Custom Fields" will get some insight in how they work.

But I am willing to help you, if you can give me some more insight in what you actually would like to see accomplished.

Cheers

Stefaan

• Hi James,

creating custom fields will happen on the project level.

If you go to the system manager window, where you can see all projects, select to project in which you want to create a custom field, go to the properties and select the custom field tab ... there you will find the possibility to create or edit custom fields

I would however encourage you to take a Waters course on creating custom fields and advanced reporting. An investment that will be very beneficiary for you

Regards,

Stefaan

• Thanks Stefaan

• Hallo Stefaan,

Currently we are using the pre-defined values of Empower to convert data into text strings. For example if you have a result like -60001 this appears as N.D. or -60007 appears as BDL. But when you report these results and use the summary function of the report (e.g. Min or Max) the summary is based on the number values. For example if you have one result that is -60001 (N.D. – not detected) and one result is -60007 (BDL – below detection limit) the summary function Max gives -60001 (N.D.), but if you compare the text strings it should be BDL.

So my idea is to define some different values which are converted into text string, where the value for N.D. is smaller than the value for BDL in order to use the summary function of the report.

It would be great if you have some ideas how this could be accomplished.

Kind regards

Oliver

• Hey Oliver,

Just so that I can check that I understand your question correctly,

I am guessing that this is for related substances/Impurity/trace analysis sort of testing where you have a lot of low level peaks and some of them are big enough to be quantified and others are catagorised as either below detection limit (BDL) or not detected (N.D.).

So for reporting the Maximum result (i'm assuming that its % Area) there are three possible situations; where the max result is quantifiable, where the max result is BDL and where the max result is N.D.

<td style="text-align: center; border-left: medium none; border-top: medium no...
    Sample 1Sample 2Sample 3
    Peak NameArea% AreaPeak NameArea% AreaPeak NameArea% Area
    Peak 11000.14Peak 140BDLPeak 1missingN.D
    Peak 250BDLPeak 250BDLPeak 2missingN.D
    Peak 3missingN.DPeak 3missing
  • Fraser,

Does the Translation in Position 2 return the actual value for MAX(% Area (fc)) or does it just return the text MAX(% Area (fc))?  Where does the fc come from?

Thanks

• Hey Joshua,

Yes position 2 will return the actual value, so in the case of sample 1 it will display 0.86.

The (fc) part of the translation tells Empower that it is a field and not text. This can be used with any available field even if that field is not in the ENUM equation. Before you use this you MUST set the "use as" dropdown menu to field otherwise it will not work.

Let me know if this helps,

Fraser

• Hallo Fraser,

Thank you very much for your answer. Your explanation of how to use the enum-fields was very helpful, as I am currently setting up some custom fields for calculation of related substances.

Unfortunatately I still have one open question and maybe you have an idea how it could be solved.

What I would like to do is to report the maximum values for impurities where the sample was analysed in duplicate:

Sample 1.1Sample 1.2Max
    Impurity 10.21BPQL0.21
    Impurity 2BPQLBDLBPQL
    Impurity 3BPQLNDBPQL

I allready tried to use the summary function of the report (e.g. Min or Max) on the results from your custom field, but it does not work correctly.

I assume I will have to use an intersample custom calculation to report the maximum values for each sample. Based one your example I set up the following intersample calculation:

Field type: peak

Data Type: ENUM

Use As: Field

Entry Type: Calculated

Equation: = ENUM(EQ(Sample1%.%.%.MAX(% Area),-60007),EQ(Sample1%.%.%.MAX(% Area),-60001),GTE(Sample1%.%.%.MAX(% Area),0))

Translation Table

PositionTranslation
    0BDL
    1N.D.
    2MAX(% Area) (fc)

But if I have a sequence with 10 samples I will have to create custom fields for each sample. Do you have any idea?

Kind regards,

Oliver

• Hey Oliver,

The syntax for intersample calculations is as followes

Label.Inj.Channel.Function(Variable)

In addition to this you can use the % symbol to be a wild card and you can use "SAME" to search the sample set for the sampe value. So what I would recomend is that you give each set of duplicates in your sample set the same label and use something along the lines of:

SAME.%.%.MAX(% Area)

Hope this helps,

Fraser