does somebody have experience with the detector CAD of ESA/Dionex under Empower2?

<p>does somebody have experience with the detector CAD of ESA/Dionex under Empower2?</p><p>I work with the modules Aglient 1200SL, to the detector CAD under Empower2. Unfortunately, it is in such a way that the sequences run on the basis of communication mistakes not to an end, moreover, injections per line are feasible in the sample set Only simply,
Several times injections will lead not worked on udn to communication mistakes.</p><p>has somebody gained such experience and solutions?</p>

Comments

• We have a couple of these connected to Agilent 1100s. If I understand your problem correctly the system will make an injection but the detector won't start, or starts only once? Then it eventually (5-10 min or so) causes an instrument error? If that is the case I would check to see that the autosampler inj start signal is connected to the detector. Like almost all instruments connected to Agilent systems, they need the start signal from the ALS (or in some cases the event card) to work. Also for these detectors I believe there is a start signal setting that may have to be configured (at least for some models). Been a long time since I set one up, so sorry for the lack of detail.

• Hope this helps:

The CAD is connected to the LAC/E by USB and also to the HPLC by two other cables. The first cable connects the ‘start-inject’ on the HPLC to the detector ‘STRT’ input on the CAD and the second connects the ‘stop flow’ on the HPLC/pump to ‘pump-off’ on the CAD.

• The CAD unit that I am using is connected as the drawing in the previous response suggests. However there is a problem with the CAD running with Empower control.  The CAD does not perform as a typical instrument connected to Empower. In my experience, any type of instrument running under Empower control is set up through a Sample Set and programmed to run a number of injections until the Sample Set is completed.  The collection continues even when the user logs out of the Empower client and is no longer actively connected. However, running the CAD using the Sample Set approach, described above, does NOT work.  If you start a run with a number of samples to inject and then close the Empower connection, the sample that is currently running will continue to collect to the end of the injection, BUT when the next injection is initiated the REMOTE signal to the CAD is lost.  The Sample Set is STOPPED with an instrument error.  The HPLC continues to pump and does not go to shutdown conditions. In a number of discussions with ESA/Dionex/Thermo sales, support etc. I finally was informed that to work with Empower in this fashion (logged off) is to set up the CAD using a SATIN connection to collect the analog signal and run the CAD instrument from its front panel. To date I have not set up my CAD instrument this way, but I do plan to.  However, I have been able to run if I keep the connection to Empower and the Sample Set open at all times.  Doing this enables the Remote Signal to the CAD to remain active.  I was told that the USB connection of the CAD to the LACE box is the reason the CAD must have the connection to Empower open at all times. Hope this helps.

• If it’s the same problem as the original post then this is not what I was originally thinking. Note we have used these while logged off on many occasions, so you're experience is not typical for what we've seen. Note I even checked the logs, and also with one of the users to be sure.

Curious about a couple of things though. You mentioned a LACE, so this was run remotely using a LACE (i.e., run was setup/started from another computer)? Or was it run directly from the LACE or computer (i.e., you logged directly to the device connected to the CAD)? When you say logged out, were you logged out of Empower or also Windows? Was the Run Samples window still open after logout? What happens if you close Run Samples but stay logged into Empower?

I might expect issues when logging out of Windows/Empower from a directly connected computer (e.g., standalones), but not when using a LACE remotely. My suspicion would be a config setting on the LACE like a power setting (e.g., turn off USB to save power) or maybe some type of Windows permissions thing. Something that would stop/disable the USB driver when a user is not logged in.

Again though for a remote LACE connection this is not expected, and not what we have to do when running these.

• Thanks for the tips.
    I switched from USB to CAD using a SATIN connection to collect the analog signal under Empower2. It works without a hitch. But only with single injections in Sampleset.

• With you still having issues when connected via SATIN, it suggests to me the problem is with the CAD instrument. Is the firmware up to date?  See the link below

http://www.esainc.com/services/software_downloads/empower_driver

Also can you confirm the previous  message that the instrument is connected to a LACE and that you are using a separate PCClient to control the system?

• To address your posted questions [“You mentioned a LACE, so this was run remotely using a LACE (i.e., run was setup/started from another computer)? Or was it run directly from the LACE or computer (i.e., you logged directly to the device connected to the CAD)? “]  -----  Both approaches were used and the CAD responded the same way no matter how the run was initiated. To address the questions    [“When you say logged out, were you logged out of Empower or also Windows? Was the Run Samples window still open after logout? What happens if you close Run Samples but stay logged into Empower?’]            I tried to test the CAD’s connection while performing each of these approaches and in all cases it did not continue to run the Sample Set and caused an Instrument Error. To address the question as to firmware  ----  The CAD was installed as a new instrument in July and I assume the firmware is current.

• Sorry I know this is a bit old now,haven't been on for a while. Note that we run them all the time using the Empower CAD driver (USB) and never had an issue (well issue running them that is, there's other issues - see below). I'd check the stop cable settings on the CAD, their connection to the system, and the systems setup for handling the signal. Or better yet remove it temporally to test. Also make sure to verify that they are "OK? = Yes" before you start to rule out setup issues. Anyway just a thought, hope it helps.

CAD issues I have seen:

1) In order to install these you have to uninstall the driver, connect to the CAD, then reinstall - a real pain. This is USB right? Should be idiot proof.

2) There's no detector channel reported to the instrument method or method set. Can make processing a pain.

• We are experiencing the same issues with our Empower <-> ESA CAD setup.

Everything runs fine so long as the user remains logged on to the acquisition client & leaves the Run Samples window open.

If the user closes the Run Samples window and/or logs off of Empower, Empower finishes the injection that was being acquired at the time but then fails out.

Check of the firmware showed that we have a rev that is OK for the instrument drivers (v1.23).

We've got the USB connection & start triggered wired, but chemists & vendor have not hooked up the stop flow connection.

What settings were you referring to when you mentioned to verify as "OK? = Yes"

-Steve

• Well I can only speak to our experience, but we do not have to stay logged into the system to run. For reference we are running Empower 2 SPG (w/ hotfixes). The CAD ICS is v1.02.0715. We have both CAD and CAD Ultra's, firmware’s 1.23 & 1.03 respectively. One system has the stop cable connected, the others do not.

Note that our CADs are run remotely, connected to the system using a LACE. If it’s a standalone system the rules may change. When I refer to “OK=Yes” I’m talking about the LACE configuration (or Run Samples View / System menu) indicating that the CAD is communicating with Empower. But if you able to run then it must be “Yes”, so it’s probably not any help there.

• Hmm...  It looks like we have pretty much the same setup in terms of the CAD drivers & Corona firmware.

But our site here is definitely a few revs behind in terms of the Empower Feature Releases (3) & Service Packs (B).

It has me wondering just what rev. of Empower 2 the ESA folks were working with when they developed the 1.02 drivers.

In their release notes, they state that the drivers were tested on & support Empower 2 base through FR5.

But I've got to wonder if their testing would have actually included what happens when the Run Samples screen is closed on each one of those FR/SP revs.

-S