UPLC heat generation

Options
<p>Hi,</p><p></p><p>we are planning to startup a new lab, and now we should take a decision about the airco.</p><p>Our idea was to put our 4 UPLC's and 3 Alliances in 1 room, and get a good ventilation here.</p><p>While contacting the airco company, they asked us about the caloric value of an UPLC or HPLC, to estimate what coolers are needed.</p><p>I contacted our local Waters office, but they couldn't provide me some info.</p><p></p><p>Any ideas on what to say to the airco company?</p><p></p><p>Best regards</p><p></p><p>BJ</p>

Comments

• atus
    Options

I roughly know how much wattage the system draws since I plugged the system into two APC Back Up batteries which have critical parameters displayed (Volt, Watts, minutes of back up power etc....). The readings are 275W and 128W when the system is idling. Total about 403W. I assume the power consumption may go up 50% when run is full speed.

Perhaps you can somehow convert the Wattage in the heat dissipated in calories.

Good luck.

Albert

• lizh
    Options

Hello BJ:

There is a simple calculation involved, that Waters has used in the past when the question arose regarding Alliance HPL:C systems, hope fully this will be applicable here, for both Alliance and UPLC. It is based on the heat produced relative to the wattage rating of the power supply.

1 Btu/hr = 0.2931 W...For example the specifications for the power supply in the Alliance (2695 and 2695e) is rated at 600 Watt, maximum. Therefore, the maximum heat output of the Alliance itself is (600 W/0.2931) or 2,047 Btu/hr.

Similar calculations for detectors etc. should result in a "good-enough" estimate for the amount of "environmental (cooling) temperature control" needed for a lab.

Does this assist in answering your question?

Let us know.

Liz

• BJ
    Options

Thanks Liz, this would be sufficient.

BJ