uplc ms -sodium adduct

<p><span>Hi,</span></p><p></p><p><span>I am using uplc-ms. often we are facing sodium adduct formation with original mass. i have performed the analysis with different solvents(fresh & different make).</span></p><p><span>Mobile phase is formic acid(0.1%),and acetonitrile. sample matrix contains no sodium.Please give me some solutions to remove sodium adduct.</span></p><p></p><p><span>regards,</span></p><p><span>Bharani M</span></p>

Comments

• Hi,

I don't think that it is possible to get rid of the sodium.

You have it in your water, in your formic acid, in your ACN, and you get it into your solvents from the glass you store them in.

Some substance are forming adducts, some don't. You can try to lower some voltages. Maybe the cone voltage has an influence on it.

• Hi Bharani,

as Brainiac says, it is often very difficult, or impossible to remove all traces of sodium from your system, and some compounds are more prone to Sodium adducting than others, so you may see this more with some compounds with others.

To try and minimize sodium in your system, I would suggest avoiding the use of sodium buffers completely on your system as even when flushed, they can be very difficult to remove, ensure that you use ultra-pure de-ionized water, purchased bottled water will not often be sodium free.

Also important (as Brainiac also suggested) is the type of glassware that you use, borosilicate glass is a better choice than soda lime glass as it leaches far less sodium, especially if solvents are used over extended durations.

Also, optimizing your cone voltage and capillary voltage to minimize sodium adducts may well help.

Thanks and all the best,

Ed

• Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.

Bharani