the phase ? column

<p>Dear colleagues,</p><p style="height: 8pt"/><p>Hi. </p><p>I am working for a CRO, and my lab is planning to buy some UPLCs. I just found information about the phase ? column. I have some questions about this column.</p><p>a) Is stationally phase same as the phase ? column?</p><p>b) What column chemistry and size are available?</p><p>(I was little confused with a figure "Higher Isocratic Efficiencies" because both data were using the phase ? column.)</p><p>c) Are those columns available in Japan already?</p><p style="height: 8pt"/><p>Thank you for your help.</p>

Answers

• I read that the particles and chemistries have NOT changed from phase 1 to 2 columns. Also, the phase 2 columns are not available yet.

I also have a few questions to add...

1. When will the phase 2 columns be available?

2. Are the phase 2 columns going to replace the phase 1 columns?

• Hello. Well I am glad that someone is asking about Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns. This gives me the opportunity to explain what these columns are AND what they are NOT. Here are some FAQs that you may find useful:

Q: What are Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns?

A: Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns are process-optimized UPLC columns focused primarily at providing superior long term reproducibility by minimizing column-to-column backpressure and efficiency variability. Based on Waters commitment to continuous process improvement (Design for Six Sigma), they are the culmination of many UPLC column manufacturing improvements implemented by Waters since the commercialization of UPLC technology in 2004. Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns also include 3.0 mm ID UPLC columns.

Q: What has changed?

A: Waters changed the way that the final column products are assembled (packed).

Q: What has NOT changed?

A: We did not change the synthesis of the particles and/or surface chemistries. This is VERY important to understand: since NO changes were made to the packing materials, your separation(s) will not change. The only observed benefits will be more consistent column-to-column performance and high efficiency - year after year.

Q: Why did Waters develop Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns?

A: The consistent and reliable Phase II ACQUITY UPLC column family is designed for the QC separation scientist. Waters combines over five years of UPLC column manufacturing experience with our ongoing Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) quality improvement approach to produce significant advances in UPLC column product quality, reliability, efficiency and performance.

Q: Was there something wrong with the ‘Phase I' ACQUITY UPLC columns?

A: No, we simply took the most advanced LC column product ever created and made it better, more consistent and more reliable.

Q: Will I have to redevelop/revalidate my methods?

A: Since the particles and bonded phases have not changed as part of the DFSS Phase II process, there is no risk that any existing UPLC method will require redevelopment. Remember, the DFSS Phase II process involves how the columns are assembled (packed) ONLY and is focused at providing consistent results year after year.

Q: I've heard that the Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns provide higher efficiencies. Will I now detect additional peaks in my UPLC separation?

A: Resolution (Rs) is proportional to the square root of the efficiency (N). In other words, one must make a very large improvement in efficiency in order to realize gains in resolution:

N Increase
    (%)

Rs Increase
    (%)

41%

22%

12%

5%

Statistically, the efficiency (N) gains that we are seeing as a result of the DFSS Phase II process are only a few percent. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that additional peaks will be observed.

So, to answer the questions posted:

a) The same particles and bonded phases are used in Phase I and Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns.

b) All available particles and chemistries will be Phase II optimized. The term 'Higher Isocratic Efficiencies' applies ONLY to a 3.0 mm ID UPLC column vs. a 2.1 mm ID...

• Becky, you are correct, the particles and chemistries did not change as part of the Phase II process. The only thing that changed was how the column was assembled (packed).

Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns will start to ship to Waters warehouses around the world in May. However, this does not mean that customers will start receiving them in May. Phase II columns will only ship after the supply of Phase I columns is exhausted. Waters warehouses follow an industry-typical FIFO (First In First Out) shipping process. In other words, when an order for a particular part number comes in, the oldest product ships. This ensures that products do not languish on the shelf and that customers do not receive ancient products. What does this mean to you? Depending upon the inventory levels of your local Waters warehouse and the local demand for a particular part number, you may receive a Phase II UPLC column in May or it may be some time later. It is difficult to know for sure as there are many variables to consider.

Essentially, Phase I columns and Phase II columns are the same thing. Phase I ACQUITY UPLC columns have evolved into Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns. Continuous process improvement is something that is standard operating procedure for Waters. This evolution is the result of us successfully making UPLC columns for more than 5 years. The same particles, same chemistries, same selectivities result in the same part numbers. The difference is more CONSISTENT column-to-column performance.

One more thing, you will know that you have received a Phase II ACQUITY UPLC column because we have changed the box and changed the color of the eCord holder from black to yellow. Also, for the first six months or so after the Phase II UPLC columns ship there will be an insert in the Phase II ACQUITY UPLC column box that indicates that you have received a Phase II column.

I hope this answers your questions. Thanks for the opportunity to comment on Phase II ACQUITY UPLC columns.

--Doug

• Thanks Doug!