Empower sign off error

Hi ,

When signing off a Empower report for sign off 2 error is observed and cannot see final report  :

The report you have selected was not found in the database

This could be the result of one of the following conditions

And then list possibilities (of which all I don't understand')

It is not the report as sign off 1 is ok and Save report image after sign is enabled

Thanks

Answers

• Hi,

Have you looked for answers to your question in our Waters Knowledge Base? Lots of great information in there. You can even find KB articles by searching for them using a search engine like Google.

Check out support.waters.com

Regards,

Justin Kelley
  • might be an issue with the pdf writer, or tablespace?
  • hi ,

tablespace is fine ,, how do I find out if PDF a problem ?

points above all checked , although not sure what point 4 refers to (TEMP file) or how to check this ?

Only option was to reprocess , resign and approve which worked

• Has it been only the one time or is this a recurring issue?  I had a problem with a printer spooler on one of my two Citrix servers that would cause an issue similar to this error as it couldn't save the pdf.  It appeared as an intermittent issue since people could be assigned to the "good" server and it would work just fine.
  • This has happened a number of times but not for a while to my knowledge

I agree it is something to do with Citrix server but yet to find root cause .. hopefully not see problem again

• I disagree - we have no Citrix and I see this via my fat client from time to time. I also have seemingly random issues getting export methods to drop data into my network folders from some projects.
  • thanks .. something to keep an eye on I guess
  • This blue Error sign off screen has started to appear again ... any thoughts on root cause

Report ticked for sign off and table space is fine > 100 mb free  

• To confirm , system policies - result sign off have not been changed

A sign off 1 after this error was ok so seems intermittent problem

• Hi ,

It seems this blue screen only appears at times at sign off level 1

ie analyst cannot see his/her report

For review must go preview /publisher and review report then click ok

Once signoff 2 is complete the report /pdf can be seen with both sign offs

unknown reason why sign off 1 a problem though suspect last condition ie TEMP folder problem  

• Look over the release notes for SR3 FR4 and FR5....   or check in support.waters.com. I’m sure there are intermittent defects addressed around something similar recently. 
  • The only note I can find of any relevance here is

https://www.waters.com/waters/support.htm?locale=en_US&lid=10114156&cid=511442&type=TECN

although we currently have Empower 3 Build : 3471 SR2 hotfix 2 , not build 1154

• Not sure if anyone solved this intermittent issue. We have seen it a lot! E3 3471 FR4 SR3. At first Waters support recommended HF1 however my testing in QA still found the issue popping up. Very random. We have tried lots of things, no smoking gun. Had the users logout of E3, and try again after 5 mins. Sometimes the second try would work. Other times the 5 or 7th! Sometimes later in the day.. 

Set the Microsoft Data Execution Prevention setting to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only".

You can see the DEP program status in task manager details if you add the column. It has to say off to make the difference. It did help.

We also modified each user temp directory location, giving everyone group Full Control (just from Temp down)

Made a huge difference. Let me know if this helps anyone or any comments. ~ regards, John

• thanks for your feedback

Hoping this error/bug will be addressed/fixed in E3 FR5

in the meantime guess just keep monitoring occurrences

• Set the Microsoft Data Execution Prevention setting to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only".

You can see the DEP program status in task manager details if you add the column. It has to say off to make the difference. It did help.

We also modified each user temp directory location, giving everyone group Full Control (just from Temp down)

Made a huge difference. Let me know if this helps anyone or any comments. ~ regards, John

Thanks for the contribution, I will try these things (and post another problem if it doesn't go away...)
  • Waters has issued CRI / PCS Number: 1001775 on this issue, but has errantly indicated that this is a Citrix only problem. We're breaking in a new server (FR5, SR4) since my last post in this thread, but I have seen it on there too - I have not tried the above suggestion on the new server yet as I've only seen it once.
  • We were involved with getting that PCS issued after several months of issues with support. The blurb about working on a full (not on Citrix) client does seem correct.
    Since nothing else has worked we resort to two fails and then have the analysis try the workaround. This has worked every time.
    There seems to be some timing issue between Citrix and possibly some security software or AV that hits the pdf file. (Yes we tried AV off..) It always gets generated, you can see it briefly show up in the users temp directory. Normally that file disappears in seconds when it gets uploaded to the DB. When it stays, you know it failed. They get removed at user logoff.
    Good to know it is hitting FR5, I had been thinking of recommending we upgrade. Is  your on Server 2016? We are still 2012R2. This seems to be a ongoing issue that needs FIXED. /pain
  • Our new server is 2016. There's no Citrix at all and we've seen it (once, so far). My only other thought is that it has something to do with AV having some sway over the temp directory. I can't imagine many IT departments that would be willing to exclude a temp directory from their AV sweeps. Perhaps Waters needs to redirect their temp junk to a folder under \Empower where admins and not AV software will be in control.

Agreed - this issue has been cropping up since shortly after your site first installed E3.