Why cant you create a peak integer custom field?

Im trying to create a custom field which multiplies the area of a peak by CConst1 and the answer has to be a whole number, or an Integer. Rather than setting the precision of the CF to 0, I wanted to pick Integer as an option but it was greyed out. Why is that? Is it because, if you use the CF for further calculations, you are introducing significant error by multiplying the Value as a whole number instead of the 17 digits behind Empower?

Answers

• start new CF, select field type peak and data type integer (0) , this should not be greyed out in this option (component and distribution only).guess you are trying to edit a CF? Or maybe try truncation CF .. I can share info on this is needed

• Hi.

No, I'm creating a new CF and the only way the Peak Integer is allowed is when the Data Type is "External" and not the usual "Calculated". I think External uses the Empower Toolkit which I'm not familiar with..

Yes, can you share what you mean about CF truncation please, thanks.

• If creating from a new field type peak option as attached  , although data source only external when click next

External is for data entry by user or external source (assuming LIMS)

Use truncation for impurities ie : ROUND(Amount+0.005,-2)-0.01

ie round to 2 dp

so for truncation of an integer : ROUND(number +0.5)-1

• Thanks, I don't understand your point on the truncation? I use the Round function a lot, but only on values like ROUND(Adjusted_Area,-1) or ROUND((Height*CConst1,-1). 

Does external mean you use the Toolkit? I have never used this option. 
  • Rather than setting the precision of the CF to 0, I wanted to pick Integer as an option but it was greyed out. Why is that?

Recall that Integer is a field type (a data type) and refers to a discrete count. These types are restricted by the database. Mixing values of two data types is generally not possible. An analogy would be multiplying 5 x the word "horse". To the database, it does not make sense.

The rounding function is really the only option.

• Thanks medicnman i have seen these external CFs a few times but I never used the Toolkit before so im not familiar with how they operate.