RI Detector for UPLC

Options
<p>Hello Together</p><p style="height: 8pt"/><p>Sometimes I look for an RI Detector for the UPLC , because it is not so easy.</p><p>Then I have found a Company in Germany who sales a micro differential refractive detector.</p><p>The Flow Cell Volume is 4µl. (Flow Rate 0,2-3ml/min)</p><p>I contacted the Company and i can test the Detector in the next three Weeks.</p><p style="height: 8pt"/><p><a href="http://www.schambeck-sfd.com">www.schambeck-sfd.com</a></p><p style="height: 8pt"/><p>regards</p><p style="height: 8pt"/><p>Ralf</p>

Answers

• Dear Ralf,

I have checked the specfication through the link to the web site provided. My only advice at this point is to be aware that the peaks generated by your UPLC may be too narrow to be accurately defined by this RI 2000M detector. Be sure to start off with RAW time constant and optimize from there for best s/n and use the highest datarate setting available.

RI 2000 M / micro specifications:

Digital Interface RS232 bidirectional, Purge, Autozero, Start, Stop

Data Out 1 Hz, 10 Hz, Lock

Time Constant

RAW (0,0 sec), Fast (0,4sec), Medium (0,8 sec), Slow (1,2 sec)

Good Day

patty

• I wish you luck with the RI however you may find that the dead volume is quite large, most UPLC detectors have a dead volume of less than 1ul and the tubing volume is also very small. Most RI detectors have quite large tubing volumes to help stabilize temperature effects, the other problem is that UPLC works best with gradients and you lose that capability with RI. I find that as long as the buffers are volatile the ELSD beats the RI hands down for sensitivity and baseline stability.

• rst
    Options

So here is a brief report on the experience of RI.
    The noise of the base line is very low if only by a pump eluent relates.
    But if the solvent is mixed by the pumps and UPLC expires then isocratic for example phosphoric acetonitrile then the noise is already 2mv
    Otherwise to see the peaks fairly well made.

Ralf