Whats the difference between Save as Calibration and Save as Processing Method?

When reviewing raw data in Empower 3 with a processing method and in the calibration curve view, you can select Option>Select Calibration and use an old Curve ID and make it current. You then have the option to save as calibration or save as processing method. Arent these two options the same? As in, when you save as calibration, this is now the current calibration curve and you can then use the processing method to quantify unknown channels with these settings? If you save as a new processing method it does the same thing only a different name. 

I know you can select a result, which already has a processing method and curve associated with it, and also select a calibration id from there. Is it better to save old calibration curves from raw data or results? And what if you just want to modify a calibration curve, eg change the response, ignore certain points etc- can you just Save as Calibration to achieve this too? 

Best Answer

• shaunwat
    Answer ✓

Well, the thing is with the overwriting, it makes it look like the file was overwritten with the same name, but if you check the method properties you will see that Empower versioned the file.

I believe there is a system policy or user rights policy that stops the appearance of overwriting files all together.

As for the processing methods and cal curves, some people like a cleaner appearance, thereby save as a new PM. As a practice, when I save a new PM I always unlink it from any calibration data and generate new for the sample set method in question.

The company I work for has a practice (and a bad practice in my opinion) of creating a new processing method for each sequence. It keeps the data clean, but at the same time we have a million different processing methods to sort through.

Answers

• So right....

If you want to save only the curve, then save as calibration.

If you want to save the processing method and the curve, then save as processing method and choose yes it copy the current calibration with the processing method.

If you want to save only the processing method, then save as processing method and select no to copying the current calibration.

It's six of one and half a dozen as another. There is more than one path the accomplish the same thing.

• Hi Shaunwat. 

Would there be any benefit in saving as a new processing method? If you save as calibration you are effectively linking this calibration curve to the processing method so a brand new processing method with a copied curve is the exact same thing, just a different name. I don't see why the option is offered, unless some companies request reprocessing done with an older version of the curve but only with a new processing method name?

Also, when you save an older version of the processing method as current, aren't you also bringing the calibration ID from that version up to the new version, and all the points/data associated with that processing method? Our SOP at work states that data that needs to be reprocessed needs the original processing method id to be saved as current then reprocessed. The process seems moot anyway because I tried to save as processing method earlier and I entered the exact same name as the current one and I just a message asking to overwrite which I did! So it doesn't seem to stop you naming the PM the exact same again, which surprised me.
  • shaunwat said:

The company I work for has a practice (and a bad practice in my opinion) of creating a new processing method for each sequence. It keeps the data clean, but at the same time we have a million different processing methods to sort through. 

This of course totally depends if you're doing QC (pretty much rotation of the same substances and analytical methods) or R&D, but I much prefer the 1 sample set -> 1 method set -> 1 processing method practice. Reusing and overwriting makes a whole mess, especially when we're talking bigger labs (so more analysts). It does generate a lot of data but with a help of filters I can easily find what I need.