Turning off collision gas at external regulator for TQD

Options
<p>Hi everyone,</p><p></p><p>A colleague and I have a disagreemetn as to whether one should turn off the collision gas at the connected regulator when not in use in order to avoid loss of argon gas. My understanding was that the connections are all sealed and as long as the collision gas was turned off on the machine, then we shouldn't be losing any gas. Is this correct or have others noticed that the gas leaks significantly? Also, how often do you replace your tanks? I'm in charge of maintaining the instrument and want to make sure we haven't been wasting gas.</p><p></p><p>Thanks in advance</p>

Best Answer

• RD
    RD
    Answer ✓
    Options

Bryce,

You are correct, there is no need to turn off the Argon at the regulator.

The MS uses very little collsion gas and assuming leak free connections, a cylinder should last many years.  The cylinder on my unit was installed in 2010 and is still going strong.

Regards,

Rich

Answers

• I always assumed the positive pressure would prevent it from entering the system.  Thanks for straightening me out Rich.  Always learning. 

• No need to turn off regulator, I never have on my TQD - I've had since 2009.  My argon tank pressure still reads 2500 psi - so if you are seeing any decrease in pressure on your At tank, check for leaks.